Monday, June 16, 2008

For the sake of edification

It always strikes me as odd when people take offense to someone else's point of view. It's totally normal and appropriate to disagree with others on certain points. And I just want to say that just because you disagree with someone doesn't make you right or wrong--it makes you different. Unless of course you disagree that Jesus is the Son of God--then you're just plain wrong. But otherwise--I think a little healthy discussion is always in order and is good for emotional and intellectual growth. 'Cause if we were all exactly the same and held all the same opinions and lived in identical manners--than the world would be pretty freakin' boring.
In summation:
1. it is ok to disagree with friends
2. disagreeing with friends doesn't end friendships--it can actually strengthen them
3. just because somone doesn't hold the same view as you do doesn't mean they are judging you for holding a different view
4. different is good
5. Jesus is the Son of God
And so ends my diatribe..

1 comment:

Madre said...

Very well put....and a challenge to your madre. I believe that my spiritual gift is exhortation...which often prompts me to want to tell others "how to live out" God's truths in their lives.

One of the draw backs to being an exhorter, is that my eyes are often on others. I can see scripture verses that would "help" them in their spiritual walk. So - since my eyes are so busy observing others, I can easily forget to look into the mirror of God's Word to examine my own heart and my own spiritual walk.

So, somehow I need to strike the balance between allowing others to have a different opinion, to have their own spiritual struggles and to ask the Lord for the grace and discernment of when to hold my tongue! (whew, sorry that was such a long discourse)