Monday, January 26, 2009

Work In Progress

Pictured here, my dining room table:
As you can see, it's a mess.

Odds and ends, pieces, parts, leavings, important and non-essential cluttering up my work space.

I always get a little overwhelmed in the middle of a large project-especially a project rather outside my comfort zone--a project that will be viewed by many ladies in our church at our Ladies Bible Study Kick-Off dinner this week.

I'm also in charge of decorations (which I am foolishly hand-crafting)--tableware, centerpieces (which I will also be making--edible centerpieces...mmmm), etc.

I've bitten off a bit more than I can chew and as I look at this pile of unfinished stuff-
-my work in progress, I feel like it will never be finished.

Sometimes I feel the same way about myself--I'm such a work in progress--I am introverted and self-centered--I didn't want to say "yes" to this big project--but I did and in working on it little by little I have been blessed by a million little details.

These details won't matter to anyone-no one else will see them or know they are there--but they are and that is what matters.

I prayed that God would guide me as I spent church funds--that the work of my hands might bless others--but I find myself being blessed most of all by the little provisions He has made.

He knew what project I would make before I decided (from my pile of 5 test runs), He knew that I would find exactly what I needed, for a good price at each store I went to.

He knew exactly how much I would need of each material and has provided it.

Sometimes, for me, the biggest blessings in life lay in the details--the little things.

The little things, most of all, show me how much He cares.
The little things surround me and I am thankful for it.

2 comments:

Madre said...

Your servant heart is a blessing to me. May the Lord help you as you work to finish your 'labor of love' on behalf of your sisters in Christ, and may THEY be blessed by the love you put into your projects.

JerseyGranny said...

Amen, Shelly. You have been such a blessing in my life as you show your love for the Lord, Steven, and the Girls.