Monday, March 30, 2009

This Isn't About You

I told you I'd forgiven
but I can't seem to forget
the years of hurt, neglect and pain
did more damage than I could admit
I wanted nothing but your love, acceptance, friendship, peace
but all i got for years in turn was negativity and grief
The past has been smoothed over now
wiped clean within your mind
i can not help but feel it's sting
every year around this time
I may be full of smiles and hugs and graceful conversation
but inside still lurks the pain and hurt
of our awful confrontations
I pray the Lord will heal my heart and take the ache away
I know we're not perfect here on Earth
And you reacted out of hurt,
misapprehension,
misguided anger,
misplaced aggression,
mistaken behavior,
that the past is rose colored in your eyes
and I try to see that when I'm by your side
and I try to pretend that it's all ok,
that I haven't been broken beyond what I could take
but the hurt is hiding within me still
and though i bare you no ill-will
and though i love you with the part
of my heart
that's still whole
I'm not sure I'll ever really be over it
and I'm not sure you'll ever really know.
And maybe, just maybe
it's better that way.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

we have never met and I am not exactly sure how I found your blog. I just had to comment to say , This free verse of yours is beautiful and though most probably for different reasons than those you choose to write about I can absolutely relate to your writings, almost as if I had written it myself. I also write free verse.

thank you for sharing